Sunday 5 January 2014

Let me introduce myself

Husband, runner, traveller, teacher, football nut - I'm all these things, but I'm also someone who usually likes to figure things out for myself.

I'm currently 27 years old, I've been married 7 months and in just 9 weeks I'm about to embark on the biggest adventure of my life: in March my wife and I are both jetting off to Vietnam to teach English as a foreign language.

In the run-up to our wedding we both took stock of our lives and looked beyond the wedding. We both currently work in marketing and although we're only in our mid twenties, we both felt the need to undergo a change. Neither of us ever had the opportunity to go on a gap year and when we realised that we weren't getting what we wanted out of our careers we decided that as newlyweds we'd never have a better time in our lives to make a fresh start and do what we really want to do.

We thought about just travelling but we soon realised that wouldn't be enough, we wanted to enjoy our jobs, we wanted to earn money and we wanted to extend our travels all in one go - and as we found out more about TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), we learned that there was a way to live out all of our dreams.

I want to see the world, I want to learn new things, I want to learn about myself, I want to really know what I should do with the rest of my life and I want to experience things I could never experience at home. Above all else, I want to one day be a person that I'd look up to myself (especially as I one day want kids and I am determined that they have an example in awesomeness father them).


Don't get me wrong, I'm not someone who's riddled with problems that I need to solve and I certainly don't hate the person I am now, I just know I can be more. In fact, if I was to come back sporting the Hansel from Zoolander look and persona then that wouldn't be a bad thing.

So what things do I need to figure out? Well there's a lot to get your head around in life and a big world out there to see, so read on and you'll see as I try to get my head round things as I head out on an epic journey to see the world alongside my wife.

Who knows? Maybe we'll all learn something along the way....

1 comment: