Thursday 26 June 2014

Friends, food and football in Milan

The Duomo
Arriving into Milan was significant because not only were we meeting up with Claire's 2 best friends for the whole of our 5 day stay, but this was also the last stop on our travels before we headed to Santo Stefano Roero in Piedmont to be au pairs for the summer.

We arrived a few hours before Jess and Sophie so we scoped out the immediate vicinity and at the paninoteca a few doors down I had one of the best paninis of my life filled with bundles of salami and Tabasco sauce.

We'd both been looking forward to seeing them, but understandably Claire was beyond excited, so when the reunion happened my prediction that there'd be tears came true.

In the evening we headed straight for the center of Milan and to see the Duomo lit up, the famous galleria Vittorio Emmanuelle II shopping mall before heading for giant portions of pizza and wine. The rest of the night was spent back at the B&B on our balcony drinking far too much wine (well, me and Sophie anyway!). It was so great for us all to catch up and also so surreal to have such good friends with us in a new place.

We all decided that during our 5 day stay we would see the major sights of the city, but otherwise we'd be more than happy just to hang out - especially as this was a much needed holiday for Jess and Sophie.

The second day we headed over to castello sforza and stopped just in front if it when we saw there were a whole load of stalls selling speciality beers, wines, sangria and foods from around the globe - all of which were music to our ears. As well as this, just outside the castle is a great big fountain that became a regular stop for us during the stay as it was a great place to dip your feet, enjoy the cool spray and people watch in the 30+ degree heat.
We then headed into the castle and the park beyond it, before heading for more gelato - in fact Jess pretty much became addicted to the stuff and who could blame her!

On the way back, the girls bought cards from a stand so we could play at night over wine on the balcony - but once we got them out later that evening we realised they were not normal cards at all! The cards were only 40 in number and had some strange characters - turns out they are for a popular traditional Italian card game called 'scopa' - of which we have since learnt how to play and really enjoy. Determined to play cards regardless, we figured out a system to use the cards to play 'uno' and so it was that 'scuno' was born!!

We repeated this sequence of fountain, food, drinks, park again on one of the other days, this time having a picnic in the park whilst there was a race going on for runners and their dogs, to which I was very jealous:
a) not to be taking part
b) for not having a dog

It was such a great time as we really got to just hang out and enjoy each others company, with one of the days allowing for the girls to hang out and go shopping whilst I went on my own trip for the morning:

My pilgrimage to the San Siro
Not the prettiest outside but the San Siro is spectacular inside
So I planned one morning to head out on my own to see something I've always wanted to see since I was a kid. As a kid I grew up spending my Sundays watching Italian football on tv as it was on channel 4 and during that time I grew a fondness for both Milan teams. Now I was in Milan I had the chance to visit their stadium which is one of the most famous and impressive in the world - the San Siro.

Heading to it via a combination of metro and bus, I felt like a kid again as I was so excited to be going, something that brought back memories of my first ever football game which just happened to be at the old Wembley of all places. The best stadiums of today are the modern equivalent of the Colosseum - it's where all the action happens and where the eyes of the world are focused and I certainly want to visit as many of my favourite stadiums as possible as each one is unique.

Unfortunately the season had already finished so I couldn't go see a game which is always the best experience, but I still didn't want to pass up the chance for a tour of the stadium and museum.
Just a few of the many famous names that adorn the museum
The museum was smaller than I was expecting but did cover the things I'd expected such as all of the trophies won by the two teams and a walk back in time with all of the most famous players that have played for AC Milan and Inter Milan.
AC Milan changing room
Inter's changing room
Inside the stadium we visited the two teams changing rooms and whilst AC Milan's was plush (not as plush as southamptons I might add), I was really surprised at the contrast with Inter's; while AC had individual bucket seats, screens etc, Inter had just a basic bench and a tiny artwork on the wall as well as their badge. I really expected more but then that's supposed to be Inter's style.
The amazing inside of the San Siro
Then it was time to enter the stadium to the pitch itself and I was blown away by its size and how unique it is. I took a few moments to imagine a match going on and enjoyed the calm of the stadium (even if there were 20 other people on the tour and a team of workers setting the stadium up for a one direction concert).

Before I left I had to ask some Germans for an obligatory photo before leaving very, very happy and with a new resolution to visit more stadiums around Europe.

I returned to the center of the city to find the girls enjoying shopping before we headed for coffee & cream, paninis and more gelato. It was a great day for all!

End of one journey, start of another

A couple of days later we waved goodbye to our friends once again as we headed to the train station having had a great last few days of travelling. Milan was good to us and a great place to hang out in.

As we got on our train we not only headed away from Milan, but away from the travelling part of our journey as we were now off to the Piedmont region an hour away to be au pairs for the rest of the summer. We were ready to begin this new challenge as we were ready to be based in one place again for a period of time rather than a fleeting moment and we were excited about getting stuck into life in the Italian countryside with a family that were happy to take us in with welcome arms...

No comments:

Post a Comment